Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Recipe

I just read Sara's recipe for Creamed Corn and how great it sounded! I will be trying it soon as corn is one of my favorite veggies, right after squash! I have been into the Spaghetti Squash thing lately ... Lynn and I love it just baked in the oven and then filled with home made spaghetti sauce, topped with some shredded cheese of your choice and put under the broiler until it is melted. Yum!!

Here are recipes I am instructed to make for all our family meals ... that is so Lynn and Natalie can take home the leftovers ... It is a steady stream out of here with all the leftovers after dinner. I have to make the Veggie Casserole for the girls, a broccoli and cauliflower dish casserole and Sweet Potato Casserole along with my French Apple Pie for Clay and Brandon. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend!! I have some great recipes so I'll be sharing some of them on days when I seem to have nothing else to say ... can you just imagine that!!

Veggie Casserole
Can Cream of Celery Soup
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chopped celery
Small chopped onion
Small chopped green pepper
2 oz. jar sliced pimentos (I leave out if I don't have it)
17 oz. can green beans, drained (I have used frozen)
16 oz. can corn, drained (I have used frozen)
3/4 cup cheese flavored cracker crumbs
2 T. melted butter
Combine soup, cheese, sour cream, celery, onion, green pepper and pimentos. Stir in beans and corn; pour into buttered 2 qt. casserole and bake, uncovered, at 325 for 25-30 minutes. Combine crumbs and butter, sprinkle over veggies and cook 10 minutes longer.

Sweet Potato Casserole
3 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup soft butter or margarine
1 cup milk
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cinnamon
Beat above ingredients until smooth; pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Combine 3 cups crushed cornflakes, 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine and 1 cup brown sugar. Sprinkle on top of casserole and bake for 1 hour at 350. (I usually half this recipe, depending on how many are coming.)

French Apple Pie
9" pie crush
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. cinnamon
Pinch salt
6 cups thinly sliced apples (aro. 6) ... I used a mixture of different types of apples for great flavor.
Preheat oven to 350. Mix sugar, cornstarch and spices; stir in apples and pour into crust. Top with crumb topping (Mix 1 cup flour with 1/2 cup brown sugar and cut in 1/2 cup butter or margarine). Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
(I pat the topping gently down over the apples ... mine always seems to boil over ... maybe I used too many apples!! ... so I have learned to put a pan under the pie plate!) This is a big favorite and everyone always want the recipe once they've tasted it!)

Quote for today:
Dear Lord:
Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Amen

1 comment:

gailsgarden said...

Yum! I want to try the veggie casserole. The sweet potatoe one sounds decadent!